Saturday, April 30, 2011

George Michael 'upset by royal wedding track snub'

George Michael has lamented the absence of his royal wedding track from yesterday's coverage of Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials.

The 47-year-old recently unveiled a special cover of Stevie Wonder's 'You And I', recorded in celebration of the couple's big day, but found that his effort had mostly been snubbed by broadcasters the world over.

Turning to Twitter, the 'Fastlove' singer wrote: "'You and I' seems to be getting more radio than I thought it would. which is great.

"Had hoped to hear a few seconds amongst the incredible BBC coverage, but alas, it was not to be... Apparently they used it on TV in Norway, lol !"

However, Michael refused to be demoralised by the song's lack of airtime, later adding: "Don't feel sad for me twitterville, apparently the two people that really mattered loved it, which truly was the point... And you lot seem to love it, so all in all, mission accomplished my lovelies.

"No tears [over the record], but found the service surprisingly touching... as for BBC and ITV, I'm used to it :) Always recieve (sic) more support abroad. It's a shame but let's be honest, after almost 30yrs I count myself lucky to get any support anywhere!!"

Michael had earlier referenced the "tragic" undertones of the ceremony by paying tribute to the late Alexander McQueen, whose fashion house designed Middleton's dress, and William's mother Princess Diana.

He wrote: "The one tragic thing about the day... That Alexander McQueen never got to create a masterpiece for Kate... I loved the dress. But it's a shame he's no longer with us.

"Of course Diana's absence is the greatest tragedy, but it really goes without saying..."