Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vidya's 'jhatkas' catch attention

The television campaign for The Dirty Picture has taken a full frontal approach (pun intended) with Vidya Balan's brazen act crossing even those boundaries that seemed unassailable when the first theatrical promo came out recently. While the makers seem to be pushing the envelope with every passing juncture, the latest being her song 'Ooh La La', many in the industry are questioning if Vidya's moves are justified for a film that boasts of such an A-grade setup.

"This is unbelievable," says a prominent director on condition of anonymity. "I understand that the makers of The Dirty Picture are attempting celebrating the life of a sexy screen diva, but what we see is beyond imagination. I guess what we saw so far in true terms was 'just a trailer'. I suppose it will take a while before we come to terms with Vidya Balan's daring new avatar."

A trade guru points out, "The tantalizing promos have done the initial trick. The makers have clearly shown that they have an eye on the box office run. And the fact that something so different is coming from Milan Luthria and Vidya Balan, who are known for a different kind of cinema, has also added to the shock and curiosity value."

"It is a conscious call," says Milan sounding surprisingly cool. "There is always a handful of people trying to become self-appointed moral crusaders and creating issues when there are none. This handful is not even representative of the Indian audience at large so no one takes them seriously. We have the Censor Board whose decision we will follow. In any case, when the audience watches the final film, all this talk will be put to rest."

He adds, "We have made a progressive film here. So much is changing on television that it's shocking. I am merely moving ahead with the times and exploring different genres. I could have gone ahead and made another gangster movie after Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai. However, I chose to change genres. I have done that even earlier in my career when Kachche Dhaage and Taxi No. 9211 worked. With The Dirty Picture, I thought it was finally time to come out with something that hasn't really been attempted before."

Milan concurs that the film has generated sufficient interest substantially in advance of its release. "I understand that people are floored, more so because it is Vidya on screen. However, I know the path I have followed. Some language and visuals might seem brazen but while certain directors may have kept it way too carnal and others way too subtle, I have found my own way."